Sunday, May 30, 2010

One Lonely Peony

Two summers ago, I bought two peony plants on sale very late in the summer. I wasn't even sure what color they were. I planted them and was disappointed when neither plant produced blooms last summer. I pulled one of the plants that didn't look healthy and I moved the other one to a sunnier spot in the garden.

This year, the plant looked much healthier but its two buds only developed into one lonely flower. When it rained yesterday afternoon, the bloom flopped over and was barely visible so I decided to cut it and enjoy it in the house.
This one little flower fills the entire room with its beautiful fragrance. I think if I had a plant covered with a dozen or more blooms, I wouldn't have enjoyed them as much as this one precious bloom.

6 comments:

  1. hi steve,

    this post is perfect for something i learned today from a gardener that i just recently met. i was telling her that none of my plants were performing as i thought they would be and she said..."the first year they sleep, the second they creep and the third they leap." i had actually heard this ssying before but it really sunk in today. so i guess the lesson is patience!


    ~janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most often, it's the simple thing that makes the biggest statement.

    The photo is beautiful with the candle reflection. Is that wallpaper...it's gorgeous!

    Your recipe was a huge hit! I was not the only one eating it. :) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so pretty! I actually have 4 peonies that I've planted in the last year. They've grown, not that tall, but they've sprouted and grown. Pretty exciting because I'n in South Central Texas. I guess I'll have to wait and see in the next few years if they'll produce blooms. If they do, the wait will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore peonies! You have to be careful not to plant them too deep, the roots like to be fairy shallow. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simple. Beautiful. My favorite flower! Enjoy! (And I bet next year you will have more!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful bloom! I planted a peonie last year and haven't had any blooms yet. Hopefully, maybe next year.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete